sedgely home ama dablam blog rss feed

Weather Problems Again

Sat 24 Nov 2012 09:22 » Jon

We were up this morning and almost ready to go when Pasang (our sirdar) told us that we were going to stay put for the day because it was too windy. Winds of 110km/h were forecast and we have to negotiate a tricky ridge on the way up to Camp 3, which the Sherpas would prefer to do when the winds are below 40 km/h.

At that point the plan was that we’d set off at 04:00 tomorrow morning and skip Camp 3, going straight to the summit. This would obviously mean a longer day, but we’d be travelling much lighter as we wouldn’t have sleeping bags and mats.

Since then, the plan has changed again. It sounds like the weather will be better tomorrow and Monday, so in a final roll of the dice we’re going to climb to Camp 3 tomorrow at the more civilised time of 08:00, then hopefully summit on Monday. This leaves no contingency, so we’re going to have to run back down the hill and run to Lukla if we’re going to make our flights home, but right now we’re all rather keen on finishing what we’ve started here.

4 Comments »

  1. Hope the weather holds so you can summit mate :-) You know, they say the weather changes quickly in the mountains ;-)
    Goodger-good luck!
    CO

    Comment by The Chief Otter — November 24, 2012 @ 12:13

  2. Sounds exciting…Good luck Biz!

    p.s. you must smell bad
    :)

    Comment by Al — November 24, 2012 @ 18:10

  3. Good Luck Bob. This sounds like an epic mission.
    Best wishes

    Comment by Pete (Twoshedz) Smith — November 26, 2012 @ 09:56

  4. Jonny, just want to say spectacular pictures – hope you managed to summit today, forget the flight back, what an amazing experience. Jonny, you’re a hero, you made Andrea feel queasy, that picture of you guys camping on a shard of rock. Look forward to hearing/reading more. Love from us all at Read Hall xxx

    Comment by Andy Stewart — November 26, 2012 @ 17:24

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment